What’s the gig economy?
It’s the growing online, on-demand economy for services such as ride sharing, accommodation sharing, dog walking, baby-sitting and more.
Nearly 20% of U.S. adults have participated in this economy, and here are some interesting facts about gig economy workers:
Here are just a few gig Examples:
- Turn their passion into profit by selling the things they make as a hobby
- Leverage their professional expertise by taking freelance/consulting projects or tutoring
- Engage in the gig economy by walking dogs, babysitting or driving for a ridesharing company
- Rent out a spare room, their car, their clothes or other resources they have
- Start a part-time business
- 44% are ages 18-34
- 51% make $50,000 or more
- 66% have received at least some college education
- 83% are employed full time
- To have an additional income stream
- To be their own boss
Source: “More People Work in the Gig Economy Than You Might Think – And Many Want to Own Homes,” Perspectives, Fannie Mae, Dec. 5, 2017